What are Damon Braces?
Damon Braces are self-ligating appliances that are fitted in the same way as traditional metal braces. But instead of having brackets that tighten and adjust the braces regularly, Damon braces use a slide mechanism that attaches wires to brackets to move naturally with the teeth as they realign. This makes them more comfortable, better looking and able to provide strong results in a shorter time.
These braces use a different method for moving teeth into the right position. The braces are attached to the memory wire that connects slide brackets without the pressure that traditional elastics often produce. They are then set to move your teeth gradually, tightening over time. The process uses less force than traditional braces, which often require supplemental treatment through tooth extractions and palatal expanders.
Damon Braces have a number of benefits over traditional braces. These include:
- Appearance. Their clear brackets make them more aesthetically pleasing because they are virtually invisible.
- Faster treatment time. According to the South African Academy of Aesthetic Dentistry, Damon braces boast faster treatment times than traditional metal braces.
- Less in-office maintenance. The study showed patients needed nearly half as many appointments to have the appliances adjusted manually.
- Less pressure on the teeth, resulting in less pain. Patients reported 60% less discomfort with Damon braces.
- Less friction, which avoids erosion and deterioration of the teeth.
- Fewer places for plaque and bacteria to accumulate on the braces.
Clinical studies have found that Damon braces are more effective at correcting severe crowding, are more comfortable and have a lower relapse rate